Volcanic hot springs egg salad
serves 2 hungry people
Put 4 eggs in a thermal pool for 15-30 minutes.
When eating just on toast or in a salad I like my eggs ‘soft-boiled’ with a runny yolk, but for egg salad you want a firm, ‘hard-boiled’, but not overcooked, egg. That means you’re looking for ~70-80 °C in your thermal pool (not boiling, but basically scalding when you dip a finger in with caution, or use one of those cool infrared thermometers).
- Cool them down, peel them, and then toss them in a bowl
- Add 1-2 tablespoons greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of (pick two or three) sliced/chopped/grated:
- green onion
- bell pepper
- red onion
- Add salt, pepper, and/or chili flakes to taste
- Smash those eggs and mix it all together with a fork, breaking up the whites and yolks as you go.
- Let it sit a few minute to meld. Then smear on toast and enjoy while staring out on steaming thermal pools.